Friday, May 10, 2013

First Mother's Day & 1 Month Old!

Growing up my mom always told me that the love between a mother and her child is like none other. I always thought "yeah. sure mom. it's love. what could be different?!" This past month has taught me just how different that love is. Did you read that. I said MONTH! Judah is 1 month old. 1 month! How did that happen. Geez. As I celebrate my very first Mother's Day I have been thinking about my great Mama! She's my best friend, closest mentor, confidant, laughing partner, and so much more! Happy Mother's Day Mama! You deserve the world, thanks for being the greatest mother a girl could ever ask for, but most of all thanks for teaching me on a daily basis how to be a mom to my sweet boy.

Now back to this nonsense of growing. How can time so quickly speed by. How can Judah already be 1 month old?! It feels like just yesterday husband and I were at the birth center waiting for the midwife to admit us. Feeling like he was never coming out. Feeling like I would be pregnant forever!  Nonetheless, here we are, a whole month later. So much in love with our boy. Here are some awkward and awesome tidbits of the last month with Judah:

Awkward: having a midwife man handle you as she attempts to teach you how to nurse. Awkward. 

Awesome: lesson from said midwife being amazingly helpful and working. We struggled with nursing, but I'm proud to say that this mama and chowhound, I mean baby, have got it down now! 

Awkward: changing my sweet boy and forgetting to cover his "area". I stood there flinging his clean diaper in the air saying "oh no! No. No. No. Wait!" As he peed all over himself. Way. To. Go. Mom. 

Awesome: baby is smiling. Sometimes because of gas. Most of the time real smiles. He has also started "talking" a little and making noises. It's so much fun to listen to him. 

Awesome: the moment when his pediatrician says she's so proud of his weight gain. And then asks if I was feeding him whipped cream.  Why yes, we are quite awesome at this whole nursing thing now. 

Awesome: watching husband with baby when he gets home from work. Definitely the sweetest moments. There's just something about watching them together that just melts my heart. They are already best buddies. 

Awesome: baby is a watcher. He will sit and watch everything. Studying. I can't wait to see if he continues this as he gets bigger. 

Awkward: planning your errands run around said nursing "schedule" only to end up having to nurse in the car because "someone"(--ahem. that'd be me) spent too much time wandering around the store. 

Awesome: baby no longer screams during diaper changes. This may be largely due to the use of warm wash clothes instead of wipes. But hey. No screaming! :)

Awesome: when baby nuzzles his head in close to your neck and falls asleep. And all you can hear are his little snores. Greatest moments ever. 

Awesome: waking up to a smiling baby. Best alarm clock on the planet.

Awkward: trying to get baby to stay awake till the next feeding and he starts yelling in between snooze sessions. So sorry neighbors. So sorry. 

Awkward & Awesome: forgetting to pay your rent on time thanks to new mama brain (is that real?) only to end up having the office lady show you pictures of her granddaughter.  Grandma's are the proudest of their grand babies. 

This past month has taught me that the love for your child really is like none other. It's a very special, unique, love that I am so thankful to be able to experience. I'm so thankful for Judah and my sweet husband. I think Mother's Day is now my favorite holiday, because even though the day is about Mom.  The whole time I will be thinking about how much I love my sweet boy and celebrating how special our lives are now that he is a part of it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment